Natural Baby Laxative
I will never forget the time my infant son became constipated. He had just started on solid foods and was about 6 months old. I had given him
both bananas and rice cereal on the same day, and little did I know that the two formed a particularly lethal combination for the
Both of those foods happen to be quite constipating for babies. I wish I had known about this baby laxative:
Little Tummys Laxative Drops for Infants and Children. It contains senna, a natural herbal laxative that has been used for centuries.
Here are some more tips if your baby becomes constipated:
- Breastfed babies don't get constipated until they're on solid foods, as a general rule because breastmilk has a mild laxative effect
(which explains those blowout breastfed baby diapers!). Keep in mind (as I learned!) that grains and bananas are both somewhat constipating.
Nurse your baby before offering him solids and keep nursing frequently once he starts on solids to help his digestive system
- Make sure your baby is drinking enough water. If he is weaned, this is especially so. Talk to your Doctor about your baby's fluid needs
and keep in mind he'll likely need to drink more in the summertime.
- Offer more fruits and veggies and fewer sweets like cookies and other grain based products. Babies need fiber too.
- If your baby is older than 6 months, give him a little watered down prune or apple juice. Both have a natural laxative effect.
- If constipation is ongoing, definitely speak to your baby's health care provider. Constipation can be a sign of more serious health
issues. Your baby may also be sensitive to a food he's eating. Some food allergies lead to constipation.